Salmon Burgers On The Grill are a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional beef burgers. Made with fresh salmon, Dijon mustard, and garlic, these burgers are packed with flavor.
Making salmon burgers on the grill is not only a tasty way to cook them, but it also offers a unique experience that you simply can’t replicate indoors. Grilling the burgers infuses them with a smoky flavor that perfectly complements the rich and buttery taste of the salmon.
A benefit of grilling salmon burgers on the grill is that it’s a quick and easy meal option that doesn’t require a lot of prep work or cleanup. With just a few ingredients and a short cooking time, you can have a delicious and healthy meal on the table in no time.
» Thinking of smoking your salmon burgers? Check out The Best Wood for Smoking Salmon.
Why Are Salmon Burgers On The Grill Great?
Salmon burgers on the grill are great because the high heat of the grill helps to cook the burgers quickly, sealing in all the juices, resulting in a juicy and tender patty that is bursting with flavor.
In addition to the mouth-watering flavors that grilling imparts on salmon burgers, it’s also a healthier cooking method. Grilling requires little to no added fats, unlike frying, which often requires oil or butter.
By grilling salmon burgers, you’re reducing the number of unhealthy fats in your meal while retaining all the delicious taste and nutrients.
Pre-made salmon patties are a great way to cut down on prep and they can be a great alternative to making your own patties. We like to buy frozen salmon patties from ButcherBox. They’re really tasty and we always have them on hand when we want them.
If you choose to make your own patties, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Salmon Filets – Bones and skin removed.
- Dijon Mustard – You can go with a mild or spicy mustard.
- Green Onion – We use green onions in the patties to add a little onion flavor that’s not overpowering.
- Breadcrumbs – Breadcrumbs help to hold the salmon together so it doesn’t crumble while it’s cooking.
- Salt & Ground Black Pepper – Salt and pepper are essential for seasoning the salmon burgers.
- Olive Oil – I like olive oil because it adds a nice flavor and it’s good for you.
To assemble the burgers:
- Brioche buns
- Sliced red onion
- Grill – I use a Weber Genesis E325 for most of my grilling, though I also have a Z Grills Smoker/Grill combo that I sometimes use. You can use whatever grill you have, whether it’s gas or charcoal.
- Propane or Charcoal – Depending on your setup.
- Grill Tools – I swear by this set of sturdy grill tools from Cuisinart that includes everything you need for grilling, like tongs, a flipper, a digital temperature fork, silicone basting brush, and more.
- Meat thermometer – Many smokers have a thermometer built in, but if you don’t have one you’ll want to get an instant-read thermometer like this awesome Thermapen.
What Temperature Should Salmon Burgers Be Grilled At?
The best grilling temperature for salmon burgers is between 375-400°F (190-205°C). This temperature range is ideal for cooking the burgers thoroughly while also creating a slightly charred exterior and a juicy, tender interior.
It’s essential to preheat the grill to the proper temperature before placing the burgers on it. Preheating the grill will ensure that the burgers cook evenly and don’t stick to the grates.
How Long Does Salmon Burgers On The Grill Take?
The cooking time for salmon burgers on the grill can vary depending on a few factors, including the size of the burgers, the thickness of the patty, and the temperature of the grill. However, as a general guideline, salmon burgers usually take around 4-5 minutes per side to cook on the grill.
To ensure that the burgers cook evenly, it’s important to only flip them once during the cooking process. Resist the urge to press down on the burgers while cooking, as this can cause them to dry out.
Overall, the cooking time for salmon burgers on the grill is relatively quick, making them a great option for a quick and delicious meal.
Our Top Grill Recommendation
I chose this grill based on quality, performance, and features. It’s pretty much got it all (large cooking area, plenty of BTU, high-quality cooking grates, and it’s priced well. If you’re feeling fancy, you can upgrade it to add more burners, smart grilling technology and grill lighting.
How To Grill Salmon Burgers
Add half the salmon and the mustard to a food processor and mix it well. Then add the remaining salmon and pulse lightly to combine.
Transfer the salmon mixture to a bowl and add the green onion, breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper. Mix with your hands and form into four patties.
Transfer the patties to a plate and cover them with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours to let them firm up. This will help them hold together better on the grill.
Heat the grill to 400° F and then brush the salmon patties with olive oil on both sides. When the grill is hot, add the salmon patties to the grill, spaced out enough so they aren’t touching. You can toast the buns on the grill at the same time.
Cook them for 4 minutes per side. After 8 minutes, check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer. When the burgers reach an internal temperature of 165° F, they are done.
Remove the burgers from the grill and assemble your burgers. Mix the mayonnaise with the garlic in a small bowl to make a garlic mayo for your spread. Serve the burgers on toasted buns with a slice of tomato, lettuce, and a spread of garlic mayo.
Some Tips for Salmon Burgers on the Grill
- For the best flavor and texture, use fresh salmon that has been properly stored and handled.
- Resist the urge to flip the burgers too often, as this can cause them to fall apart. Flip the burgers only once and let them cook undisturbed until they are ready to be taken off the grill.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the burgers. When the temperature reaches 165°F, the burgers are fully cooked and can be safely removed from the grill.
- After removing the salmon burgers from the grill, let them rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the juices to distribute evenly throughout the patty, resulting in a more tender and flavorful burger.
How to Store Leftovers
If you have leftover salmon burgers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To prevent the burgers from drying out, wrap them in plastic wrap or aluminum foil before placing them in the container.
If you want to freeze the salmon burgers, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place them in a freezer-safe bag. They will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to eat them, let the burgers thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
How to Reheat Burgers
When reheating the burgers, you can use a microwave, oven, or stovetop. To reheat in the microwave, place the burgers on a microwave-safe dish and heat on high for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. To reheat in the oven, place the burgers on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F (180°C) for 10-12 minutes, or until heated through.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #legendsofthegrill on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Salmon Burgers on the Grill
- 1 1/2 pounds salmon fillet skin and bones removed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tomato sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Add half the salmon and the mustard to a food processor and mix it well. Then add the remaining salmon and pulse lightly to combine.
- Transfer the salmon mixture to a bowl and add the green onion, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Mix with your hands and form into four patties.
- Transfer the patties to a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up.
- Heat the grill to 400° F. Brush the salmon patties with olive oil on both sides. When hot, add the salmon patties to the grill.
- Cook, not touching, for 5 minutes per side. When the burgers reach an internal temperature of 165° F, they are done. You can toast the buns on the grill at the same time.
- Remove the burgers from the grill.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the garlic in a small bowl.
- Serve them on toasted buns with a slice of tomato, lettuce, and a spread of garlic mayo.
🥧 If you’re interested in more great recipes, I share all my favorite recipes at A Food Lover’s Kitchen, Instant Pot recipes over at A Pressure Cooker Kitchen, air fryer recipes at Air Fry Anytime, and cocktails and drinks at Savored Sips. Check it out today!
Like this recipe? Pin it!
Laura is a passionate home cook and grill enthusiast who has spent years perfecting her culinary skills, with a particular focus on grilling techniques and flavor combinations. Her fascination with the grill, smoke, and the mouthwatering results they produce has led her on an exciting journey to discover the best methods for grilling delicious and unforgettable meals.